• Achieved listenership of 73% (400k) in Kuching and 75.9% (268k) in Kota Kinabalu
• HITZ, ERA and MY are No. 1 radio brands in English, Malay and Chinese respectively
The GfK Radio Listenership Survey 2022 in East Malaysia reported radio listenership of 92.3% of the population in Kuching and Kota Kinabalu. From this, Astro Radio achieved a market share of 74.1% or 668,000 of total weekly listeners strengthening its leadership as the radio operator with the highest number of listeners in East Malaysia.
Astro Radio brands in East Malaysia continued to lead as No. 1 across all languages with a total reach of 73.0% or 400,000 weekly listeners in Kuching, and 75.9% or 268,000 weekly listeners in Kota Kinabalu. HITZ, the No. 1 English brand reported a total reach of more than 276,500 weekly listeners; ERA, the No. 1 Malay brand achieved a total reach of more than 279,400 weekly listeners; and, MY, the No. 1 Chinese brand saw more than 145,300 weekly listeners tuning in.
In Kota Kinabalu:
- HITZ, as the No. 1 English radio brand among listeners 10 years and above, reached more than 112,000 weekly listeners and charting more than 70,400 and 60,600 weekly listeners on the Breakfast and Drive show respectively. HITZ accumulated an exclusive audience of more than 9,600 and recorded Time Spent Listening of 6 hours and 11 minutes.
- ERA, was also the No. 1 Malay radio brand among listeners above 10-years-old with more than 136,700 weekly listeners. The Breakfast and Drive Shows recorded more than 97,900 and 70,400 weekly listeners respectively. The brand also achieved the Highest Exclusive Audience among Malay Radio brands with 11,588 weekly listeners and recorded Time Spent Listening 6 hours and 50 minutes.
- MY, the No. 1 Chinese radio brand among listeners 10 years and above, with more than 30,800 weekly listeners. With a Breakfast and Drive Show weekly listenership of 22,052 and 18,281 respectively, MY also garnered exclusive audience of more than 10,300 and Time Spent Listening of 10 hours and 32 minutes.
- HITZ, as No. 1 English radio brand among listeners 10 years and above with more than 164,400 weekly listeners, and a breakdown of 115,303 and 89,729 weekly listeners in the Breakfast and Drive show respectively. With an exclusive audience of 20,780, HITZ recorded Time Spent Listening of 6 hours and 18 minutes.
- ERA achieved a weekly listenership of 142,600 as the No. 1 Malay radio brand among listeners 10 years and above in this city. The Breakfast and Drive Shows recorded 97,513 and 88,205 weekly listenership respectively. ERA recorded 8 hours and 5 minutes of Time Spent Listening and an exclusive audience of more than 27,000.
- MY, the No. 1 Chinese radio brand among listeners 10 years and above recorded weekly listenership of 114,475. Breakfast and Drive Show achieved 77,274 and 58,478 weekly listeners respectively. MY recorded Time Spent Listening of 6 hours and 9 minutes and garnered an exclusive audience of 26,892.
The survey was carried out over 2 weeks with a mix of traditional radio diaries and e-diaries distributed to 1,800 unique individuals across Kota Kinabalu and Kuching to capture their listening habits.
Data source: GfK Radio Listenership Survey 2022 (Kota Kinabalu and Kuching)